Psoriasis in Newport Beach & Fullerton, CA
Jennifer Armstrong MD is your state-of-the-art center for high-quality medical and cosmetic dermatologic care. Dr. Jennifer Armstrong and her expert medical team members are proud to offer a wide range of non-surgical and non-invasive treatments that provide patients with their healthiest-looking and -feeling skin. We are proud to offer treatments for psoriasis to men and women in Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Beverly Hills, and the neighboring communities in Orange County, California.
What is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a common and frustrating autoimmune skin condition that causes a rapid build-up of skin cells. This skin cell build-up often leads to inflammation and thickening of the skin, which can be both painful and aesthetically unpleasant. Psoriasis typically develops on the joints, like the elbows and the knees, but it can also affect the hands, feet, neck, scalp, and face. Patients who suffer from psoriasis may also find that they have patches of skin that are whitish or silver and scaly, patches of skin that crack and bleed, patches of skin that itch and burn, soreness around affected areas, and painful or swollen joints. If you believe you may be suffering from psoriasis, we encourage you to come in for a private consultation. One of our medical team members will be happy to sit down with you, assess your skin, listen to your concerns, and develop a personalized treatment plan to help you achieve your ultimate skincare goals.
What Causes Psoriasis?
There are two main factors that contribute to the development of psoriasis – genetics and the immune system. Because psoriasis is an autoimmune condition, your immune system plays a large role in the onset of your psoriasis. The skin cells that build up on the skin are a result of your white blood cells mistakenly attacking your skin cells. This attack triggers the body into wanting to develop more skin cells to replace the ones that are being attacked, therefore resulting in excess skin cells and the development of your red, thickened skin. Research has also found that patients who have immediate family members with psoriasis are more likely to develop it themselves.
What Psoriasis Treatments are Available?
Dr. Armstrong’s expert medical team is proud to offer a wide range of psoriasis treatments to men and women, including:
- UVB Light Therapy
- Exposure to ultraviolet light is typically viewed as a negative thing, however, controlled exposure to UVB rays has actually been clinically proven to improve the symptoms of psoriasis. This is because the UVB rays in the sunlight kill the overactive white blood cells that attack your skin cells and cause them to overproduce.
- Oral and Topical Prescription Medication
- Topical treatments like ointments and creams can soothe the skin’s surface while systemic oral medications can aid in suppressing your autoimmune response. Dr. Jennifer Armstrong’s medical team members will develop a personalized treatment plan for you with a specially curated combination of oral and topical medication, so you can get the ultimate results for your body’s specific needs.
- Medical-Grade Skincare Products
- When it comes to discomfort caused by psoriasis, we often recommend the use of medical-grade skincare products. These products contain high-quality ingredients to soothe even the most sensitive skin. By providing your skin with intense hydration, you can reduce the risk of your skin cracking and bleeding.
How Much Do Treatments for Psoriasis Cost?
The cost of your psoriasis treatments will depend on the type of treatment you choose to receive, the extent of treatment needed to achieve your desired results, and the coverage provided by your current health insurance plan. To get a better idea of how much your psoriasis treatments will cost, we encourage you to come in for a private consultation.
Dr. Jennifer Armstrong and her team of medical professionals are proud to offer a variety of advanced non-surgical dermatologic services to residents of Newport Beach, Beverly Hills, Huntington Beach, and the neighboring communities of Orange County, CA. Contact us to schedule your private medical or cosmetic dermatology consultation with Dr. Armstrong today.